Saturday, February 01, 2014

Halogen to LED

I am surprised that it was six years ago when we first tried LED lights to replace our halogen lights. As I noted at the time, the technology was not quite there but I knew it would be soon.

A couple of times I have enquired at a lighting shop about them and of course read up about them, but the more I learnt, the more confused I became, the main point being do we need new transformers or not to put in LED lights. I concluded it was preferable but not essential. I put it in the too hard basket, and we decided we would do something when one needed replacing. Amazingly the light in each bathroom has lasted 17 years, since the building was new. They are glass covered, so that may make a difference, but they certainly get plenty of use. The two in the kitchen have been replaced, as have their transformers by yours truly.

Now I dislike bits of advertising material falling out of newspapers and magazines, however, one caught my eye. It offered  replacement of halogen lights with LED including transformers for $27. In the fine print I noted there was a service fee of $30 if less than ten lamps were replaced.

A phone call to the company and within two days we had the four LEDs installed and we are very happy with them. They are brighter, cooler and use a tiny amount of electricity.

You can pay anywhere between $25 to $70 to have LEDs fitted to replace halogen lights but this scheme is subsided by the government. The company is called Embertec and I recommend it. It also supplied our tv shut down power saving devices a few months ago. They are very professional. The total cost was $140 for the four replacements.


14 comments:

  1. Great tip Andrew. I might look into it for my apartment. Hmmm...I should alert the body corporate and get all of the halogens in the corridors replaced as well. They give off so much heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, our building was done a couple of years ago with a big power saving and lights not needing replacing nearly as often.

      Delete
  2. LEDs are very popular in European Union and they save a lot of energy. Also are very fashionable on the ceilings especially in new apartments and houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I suppose it is a world wide move to LED. Some people may have 100 halogen lamps in their house.

      Delete
  3. Does the light disperse as much as with the halogens? My concern with LEDs is that they work as effectively as having a torch embedded in the ceiling: There's one very bright circle on the carpet immediately below and hardly any light elsewhere.

    My parents had some installed a year ago (against my advice) and indeed, they had six tiny circles of light in an otherwise dark room. They were replaced a week later.

    For me, that's the only concern about having LEDs, otherwise I think they're great because of their lesser electricity consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, I think our old halogens were a wide 55 degree spread. The LEDs spread further. They are certainly not spots. They really are very good now.

      Delete
  4. "the too hard basket" :)
    That's where pretty much everything for me goes nowadays. Used to I wanted to know the meaning of life, what makes people do the dumb things they do, etc. Now it all goes to the basket before it even gets close to the brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubye, I think the older you get the more that goes into the too hard basket. It certainly does for me.

      Delete
  5. If this were my own place I'd get these dumb lights replaced, that's not too expensive at all. Alas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Fen, you can't do much in a rented place. Mercy of landlords.

      Delete
  6. I have 5 ceiling lights with the old bayonet fittings, if there are LED lights to fit those I'll switch, but not otherwise, it might be too expensive to be changing over the fittings as well and maybe it can't be done because there is a flat above mine...I have two lamps as well, but I like the bases and shades, so if they can't be made to fit LEDs then they'll stay as they are, I have those twisty energy saving bulbs in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, suddenly the moment was right for us, but we have lots of lights that are not energy efficient. The twisty fluoros are fine, as long as they are not visible.

      Delete
  7. I might have to give this some serious thought Andrew.. it does seem to make sense, there just always seems to be other things.. and lack of time to organize! I know.. excuses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it wasn't too much effort on our part and well worthwhile.

      Delete