Friday, January 31, 2014

Who is she?

Two more celeb photos from Shorpy.com

The first is the very recognisable Mr Spock from Star Trek, the actor being Leonard Nimoy.


But who is this stage hoofer? She is still alive.


Here she is, at home, doing something normal people do. You can't work it out?


Got it? No? Does colour help?


It wasn't until I showed R this photo that he worked out who she is.


I will add a recent photo once someone answers correctly.

Later edit:

Rubye was the first to correctly guess it is Betty While, best known for her role as Rose in The Golden Girls, a US sitcom from the nineties. Any gay male who does not know now who she is better hand in their gay card as they exit the building. 

Here she is as most of us will remember her as the naive and dipsy member of the house of women with Swedish heritage . Unfortunately most of the photos of her from back them seem out of focus. Funny about that.


Here she is more recently. I believe she was in Australia in 2010 to promote her auto-biography written by herself about herself. (go on Victor, if you dare. At least I warn you now) After seeing her on tv, I thought she was a bit past it and going through the routine and somewhat pathetic. I am all for old people being out there, but in her case I don't think it worked.


She made an ad for New Zealand, last year I think. It is late at night now and this is new to me, so I will watch the ad tomorrow but if you want to see it, it's here. I'm off to sit on the lanai for ten minutes and off to bed.

37 comments:

  1. In the colour photo - I am sure I know her face....but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MC, knowing her face is not good enough for a prize.

      Delete
  2. Happy Lunar New Year to you in the year of the Wooden Horse mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Happy New Year to you Michael.

      Delete
  3. Jane Wyatt, 'Father Knows Best'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Except Jane Wyatt is not still alive.)

      Delete
    2. I can see why you would suggest Jane.

      Delete
  4. Second guess is Nanette Fabray who was a dancer and still is alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know her at all. It is not her.

      Delete
  5. Looking forward to the answer. That is a very young Leanord Nimoy - very hippy beatnik looking
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that should be Leonard I think lol

      Delete
    2. Cathy, I thought it would be quite easy for some people. We'll see how it runs as the day goes on. I should be able to answer by tomorrow if no-one gets it.

      Delete
  6. Who the fuck is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a puzzle for the weekend. Sorry I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer shortly Gosia.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Of course it is Rubye. Well done you.

      Delete
    2. She always does that gesture with her fingers to her mouth like she just doesn't know any better. So where's my prize?

      Delete
    3. Rubye, I've not noticed the gesture before but you are quite correct. She does it a lot. Your prize has been despatched. If you don't receive it, it must be a problem with your postal service.

      Delete
  9. I was going to say Betty White, but Rubye beat me too the draw. Doesn't look at all like her in the first two photos, but the facial expression in the next photo certainly looks like Betty's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting FC. I would never have worked it out from that photo, you meaning the colour one.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. No surprise that a theatrical person such as yourself Mitchell would know the answer.

      Delete
  11. Looks like Leonard Nimoy has always had the same hair lol. And I did recognize Betty White once I saw the color picture. I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I am not surprised Americans recognised her. I am a little surprised that Australians did not.

      Delete
  12. Love Betty White, she's a classic :) surprisingly she is really popular with younger people also... I watched the video, the NZ accent always makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, easy on the eyes, as they say. I quite like his accent.

      Delete
    2. Grace, she was really good in the video. I am not so keen on very broad New Zealand, nor very broad Australian for that matter.

      Delete
  13. It's hard to concentrate on Betty in the Air NZ ad when the male flight attendant is in view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is good looking. I'm not surprised he gets the lion's share of the dialogue in part because the female's accent, combined with her speed of speech, make her almost incomprehensible in one of her lines.

      Delete
  14. I went to a dinner at mum and dad's care home last night, given for the children and grandchildren of the residents. There were four people there, aged 60-64, who remembered my name from when we were teenagers. I didn't remember three of them altogether and the fourth only by face (not name).

    Either we have all changed so much that, like Betty White, no-one knew who it was. Or the other four people DID remember... only my brain has gone to sludge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it must be that your brain is full of far more interesting stuff than names from fifty years ago.

      Delete
  15. I didn't recognise Betty White, if I'd ever watched The Golden Girls I might have, my first thought was Shirley Temple but I knew that was wrong, I just couldn't think of anyone else. Leonard Nimoy was easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four women of a certain age living together River, and you never saw it?

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.