Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Revisting Berwick Gardens

Remember when we visited Wilson Botanic Park in Berwick mid last year. The gardens were lovely but of course the roses weren't blooming then. Some time in early December we re-visited the gardens, after the full show of roses. R's back was playing up and we did not have a lot of time to investigate the garden to its full extent, but we will revisit.


The roses were past their full flowering period, but you can imagine how stunning the gardens must have been at the height of the blooming period.


R's back did not stop him bending over to smell the roses. So few had much of a scent.



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The whole area, several hectares is great Mitchell.

      Delete
  2. That's one garden we've never been to, must make a note for a visit on a cooler day. Have you been to the Australian Garden near Cranbourne? Worth a visit if you have the time and energy.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth the effort Cathy. Yes, we have been to the gardens at Cranbourne. It must have been in the very early days as I cannot find I wrote anything about it.

      Delete
  3. Just a beautiful garden. I can only dream about blooming roses because in my region it is -10 so we will wait till the end of May for roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we have a couple of roses in our area that even bloom in winter. Our winters are not as cold as yours.

      Delete
  4. I must go back too, I spent many a hot afternoon in those gardens back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Fen, you would know it well, I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. I can see how it would be a beautiful garden when in full bloom. I think it is a shame that so many roses have had the scent bred out of them through breeding for "better" flowers. Many breeders are now trying to get that back and I hope in future many more roses will be scented as they were in the old days. There is nothing nicer at dusk than a garden of rose scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is good to hear that there is a focus on scent. Yes, a nice warm evening with the scent of roses, lovely.

      Delete
  6. You just can't beat a rose garden, soooo romantic oui especially if there are a few that have a perfume to them. Looking forward to seeing Berwick in full bloom Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I really must make an effort next November when they should be at their peak.

      Delete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.